Monday, August 25, 2008

run run run

I guess maybe it was turning 30 in combination with not being pregnant or nursing that caused me to feel an urgency to DO something this year that I can't do otherwise. So what did I decide to do? Run a half marathon!

Last Friday afternoon, just in time to catch all the northbound traffic, my neighbor Michelle and I headed out of town. We picked up my sister in law Ericka and her friend Tiffany on our way. When we got to Cache Valley we picked up our packets and then met my other sister in law Richelle for a delicious carb loading dinner at Blackstone.



Then we headed over to my Grandma's house which is conveniently about 2 blocks away from the finish line. The fun and completely NON awkward part was sharing a bed.


After trying to sleep we awoke at the last possible minute, threw on our running clothes, and jogged to the bus. There we met up with 2 more neighbors who did the Ragnar Relay with us in June.



After a bus ride to the top, we were feeling the race buzz and excitement. Here are the "4 bras" from the relay team at the starting line.



This is me with my sister in law Ericka who is getting married on Saturday and is fun to have in town until she moves to New York!

And 13.1 miles later...


Check out my right quad! Everyone did great! My grandparents and aunt Steph were there to cheer us along as we approached the finish line. And my brother Dave (Richelle's husband) was there with their kids too. My emotions were a little overwhelming at the finish line. It was a real accomplishment for me. Michelle is trying to talk me into doing the full marathon in 4 weeks. I'm a little torn. Now is probably as good a time as any... but 26.2 miles is a LONG way! A little scary!
What a fun experience! Thanks to all my fun girls for doing it with me and all the laughs along the way. BIG thanks to Jon for his love, support, and encouragment. (And for watching the kids on my little getaway) Thanks to Grandma and Grandpa for the sleeping accomodations and for coming out to cheer for us.

4 comments:

  1. Ames,
    WOW! You always amaze me. I'm feeling inpired by your awesomeness and it makes me want to go sign up for a race! :)
    I've only done a 5K and so far, that's enough for me. Congrats girl, you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making the run, that is awesome! You should totally go for the full marathon! I am just trying to get into running, does it ever get easier? I havent even been able to do a full mile yet without stopping!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Amy! Your quad rocks!! Isn't it a great feeling accomplishing something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Amy! You are probably like my friend who goes on a 5 mile run for a liesurely day of exercise. I can't dream of feeling that way about running, but I do remember doing a 10K with you when it was work for all of us, so that gives me hope. I hope you enjoy this accomplishment before moving on to the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete