Thursday, January 8, 2009

Seven Weeks




I promise I won't bore you with constant pregnancy updates for the next 7 months but THIS post is going to be just that!

We had fun telling the rest of our family on Christmas day. Jon's parents came over to see what Santa had brought the kids. The last gift they saw was the note, which Julie read out loud. She said at first she thought it was going to be a dog! They seemed excited.

That night we went to Logan to spend time with my family. The last gift to be opened was to my parents and was a note similar to the one we wrote for the kids. Everyone was excited and surprised. My parents both shed a few tears which was cool.

The girls were so good about not spilling the beans to the neighbors for 2 weeks! Then I went ahead with the last post as my way of telling everyone else.

The girls are excited. They talk about the baby everyday. Paige wants a boy to even out the numbers and "so Charlie won't wear dresses anymore". Haily wants a girl because "it would be SO CUTE like Hannah (her cousin)". Jon is voting boy. Charlie, girl. I think it would be fun to have a baby girl again. They are so fun! But another boy would be good for Charlie.

The other day, Charlie came up to me and said, "where's the baby, Mom? Your belly?" and tried to lift up my jacket. Then he said, "Smoosh baby!" and tried to push on my belly. I removed his hands and he said, "kick baby!" and tried to lift his foot high enough to reach me. I told him we don't hurt the baby, we kiss the baby. So he kissed my belly.

Lately he has not been sleeping well and always wants to be with me, not so much Jon. I think he knows more than we realize and he is already looking for reassurance that we love him still. It makes me a little sad. It reminds me of when I went into the hospital to have Haily and I felt a tremendous sense of guilt about what I was doing to Paige. Of course, everything turned out and everyone adjusted so I am hopeful it will be the same this time around.

The past week the sickness has set in. I knew it would so I tried to enjoy every day (and meal) I had before then! After a couple days I felt really discouraged, knowing how far I had to go! So today I got a prescription for Zofran aka the wonder drug. In my previous pregnancies it was a fairly new drug so there was no generic available. And they practically charged your 1st born to get it! Seriously, about $800 a month. I had to find some (possibly illegal) loopholes to get it. So imagine my JOY when I went to Costco today and it was $22 for a full 30 pills!!! YIPPEE!

Morning sickness makes me totally lose my appetite and in fact the thought or scent of food makes me dash for the nearest toilet, or sink in a pinch. But not eating makes it worse so the challenge is to find food that I can hold down. And it changes everyday! One day it was plain Eggo waffles. Cheese sticks used to do the trick. I thought pickles sounded good one day so I bought a jar and haven't wanted a single one! A vanilla frosty hit the spot one day (thanks Michelle!)

On the other hand, one morning I opened the coat closet to get my coat and caught the scent of gum in my purse, which caused my stomach to lurch and I ran to the bathroom. Then one night I opened the pantry to turn off the light and the scent of the food was enough to do it. The nearest receptacle that time was the sink. Charlie was there and asked, "you had burp, Mommy?"

I just have to get through one day at a time and keep in mind the reason for all the misery. When I look at the faces of my three kids I know I would do it again, a thousand times over to have them. It's truly an honor and a privilege to be a mother. I am grateful that my body is able to carry children. It is a joyful time!

7 comments:

  1. hang in there!! Oh the smells. ugh. I still can't eat things from two pregnancies ago. Try to eat a lor of protein. Although, I know somedays its all you can do to eat anything!!

    Your kids are beautiful!! Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy-

    Congrats and hang in there. I can still remember when I was so miserable this summer and you gave me those encouraging words on facebook - it really helped. I had never heard about Zofran- I'll have to keep that in mind for next time!

    Love,
    Cami
    P.S. Feel free to check out our blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zofran was my wonder drug with Maili - I went from throwing up every 30 minutes to just feeling sick all the time - with no throwing up. Surprisingly with the boys I was not sick at all. So naturally I would always vote to have another boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats from me as well. I hope you get feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kids are sooo CUTE! And is that your bedding in Charlie's photo (and the header photo)? I love it. Where did you get it so I can copy it and be just like you (minus the pregnancy of course).

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMY! Congrats!! I'm so very excited for you guys, minus the throwing up. Ugh. I remember seeing your permanant IV when you were pregnant with Paige and thinking, "WOW she's a trooper!"

    It sounds like it was fun surprising your parents on Christmas. I sure love ya, Hopefully we'll talk soon.

    P.S. Now we need to schedule some newborn pictures! :) When are you due?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh amy, hang in there! I feel your missery with the sickness. I would drink slimfast or a protein shake first thing in the morning & that seemed to help when nothing sounded good to eat. PLEASE call if there is anything i can do to help you out! we are SO excited for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete