Saturday, January 17, 2009

Draper Temple Open House



Friday afternoon we took the kids to the Draper Temple Open House. Charlie saw me getting ready and said, "I go get dressed go to temple." Then he went and pulled his tux from Ericka's wedding out of his drawer and put it on, without a shirt. He also had a pair of sunglasses on top of his head! He climbed into his crib and fell asleep.
When everyone was dressed and ready, we went to a nearby church where the tour began. There, you watch a short video about temples in general. The schedule was running behind and because we were short on time, we chose to skip the video. I wish we could have seen it! We had to wait quite a while before we could get on the bus. Hopefully they will be able to improve the busing system for the rest of the tour days. Here we are on the bus.When you get to the temple, you walk through a long tented tunnel that leads to the entrance. The interior is SO BEAUTIFUL! I've been in a handful of temples and they are all beautiful but I really loved this one. The wood was so stunning! It was African Cherry imported from the West Coast of Africa. The windows were also breathtaking. Most of all, the chandelier in the Celestial Room was amazing. The ceiling was so high and the light fixture seemed to go up forever. It was so brilliant and reflected a full spectrum of glittering colors. There was no photography allowed within the temple so go see it for yourself! The open house goes until March 14th.



When you come out, you go back through the tunnel and into the church next door where there were some delicious cookies (don't miss out!!) and you could have any questions answered. Then we had to wait a while again to get on a bus back to our car.

It was really a memorable experience, especially for the kids I hope. They were excited to get to go in. They were most interested in seeing where the weddings take place. We had a neat moment inside a sealing room looking into the mirrors that go on forever as a family. I'm glad we did it, even with all the waiting involved and look forward to spending time there in the future. I recommend everyone go!

2 comments:

  1. I hear it is beautiful! We are going at the end of the month and can't wait to go. I love the story about Charlie..so sweet laying there in his tux:) Your family looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know they were building a temple in Draper! How cool. It looks like you guys had a memorable experience.
    Charlie still makes me so happy every time I hear a story about him. I just want to jump through the computer and give him a hug.
    Last but not least...I'm lovin' your new bangs. So stylish.

    ReplyDelete