Saturday, July 12, 2008

turning 30

I've been looking forward to turning 30 for the last year now. Maybe that's weird but I feel like I am getting better with time! I feel like more of myself, I know what works for me and I know better how to go after those things. So I planned a big trip with friends to celebrate.









It is amazing how much effort goes into coordinating a trip like this! First of all, not being pregnant or nursing and the kids old enough to leave at home! Then, saving the money. Getting work off, arranging the babysitter...it goes on and on. I'm amazed we were able to have two other couples join us.





On the morning of my birthday, I woke up to this in my driveway.
Thanks to a couple of my neighbors for that!


Then Paige, who did not want to be left out of the birthday action, wrapped a couple of things that I already own and presented them to me. My favorite part was this hand written note:










30 is a great number!






Jon got me a cool pair of bright green Keens and a new ipod that's smaller so better for running.







Then it was time to pack! We hardly slept that night, it was worse than Christmas as a child. A mixture of excitement and anxiety. We had never left the kids before! But after a tearful goodbye, we headed for the airport. We met up with the Paxtons and the Francis' and flew to Cancun then took a van to our hotel.


This was a fantastic place! I would recommend it for anyone, with or without kids! It was all-inclusive. It was beautiful! This is in front of a fountain in the front lobby.
















The food was really great! Jon does have a special fondness for buffets and we ate and ate and ate. Everything from the staple chips and guacamole to escargot, cavier, and peacock! I loved the coconut ice cream! And lots of drinks. Mostly diet coke with lime for me and Fanta for Jon. I only got drunk a couple of times, and the first was by mistake...Mexicans don't pay attention to the word "virgin"! But everyone loved the effects so much that they tried to spike my drink. But banana liquer in coke is not too easily disguised! Nice try Jim.

The first day there we went to Xel Ha. It's an amazing all natural water park in a Lagoon that


flows into the ocean. The funnest thing we did there was ride bikes through a path in the trees. Something about riding a bike in a swimsuit like a kid in summertime was so liberating! Then we floated in tubes down the river. Along the way, we jumped off a cliff into the water, walked a tightrope over the water (falling off was the fun part), and snorkeled. We swam into an underground cave, saw lots of big fish, got a small lecture on using non-biodegradable bug spray...







The next day the "men" decided to do some deep sea fishing. Don't ask me why a couple of guys who get motion sickness would want to try such a venture! Their manhood was bruised a little when 2 of them ended up spooning on the floor of the boat. Such violent vomiting wears you right out and the fetal posotion was their only comfort. I wish I had photos. Here is an amazing story though. That morning the ladies laid out on the beach. There is about a mile of beach front with hundreds of chairs and then hundreds more chairs around the pool area. We were on 3 chairs all morning then left to get tattoos. Meanwhile, the boys had ended their fishing trip early and had come to the beach. Of all the places to sit, they were on our same 3 chairs! And not only that, each husband was in the same chair as his wife had been in! We did some excited screaming and decided that it was a sign that we were all meant to be!



The next day the Paxtons and Jon and I went on an "extreme Tulum adventure". A van took us deep into the jungle where we first snorkeled in a cave called a cenote.




















Then we went on a series of zip lines through the jungle. I felt like Diego! It was fun. They like those harnesses nice and tight! Our next activity was repelling down into a cenote.








They took us into a tent and fed us a delicious and authentic lunch of chicken with tortillas and beans and pico de gallo. YUM!





Then it was back into the van and off to Tulum. What a beautiful and facinating place! Jim brought his binoculars (I think because he heard there was a topless beach nearby).





















There was so much to do at the resort too! We played basketball in the pool where the girls easily out-shot the guys! We kayaked, snorkeled, and just relaxed! One of my best memories from the trip was swinging in the hammocks every night after dinner just talkin and laughin. We confessed all out past sins and got to know each other really well! If this is what it's like to be 30, I'll take it!


We tried the dance club but felt too old and so tried the lounge and felt too young. Angie looked fantastic shakin that pregnant belly around but we couldn't get Whitney to do any ballet...or tap.


I'm glad we didn't miss the squat trap! And the old man with the black eye was too ironic the morning after discussing a certain type of punch! I'm glad I have my beautiful kids to come home to. I feel so blessed. Good husband, good friends, good kids, family, health, home, laughs, and memories. I'm grateful to all who made it happen.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fabulous trip and fun people to enjoy it with. Welcome to the thirties...I must admit they are better than they seem.

    ReplyDelete