Thursday, July 3, 2008

My fragile boy







After taking my 22 month old son to visit the doctor yesterday, I had a flash forward of what he may be becoming and had to laugh. Let me back up.
A few months ago we introduced him to the soft-serve ice cream experience at the local Arctic Circle with a free kiddie cone. As my husband continued to feed it to him, we noticed his lips seeming to get bigger and bigger like balloons. Then we noticed a raised rash on his face and neck. Hmm, could he be allergic? Well, the next time we went through the drive through, I noticed a warning sign posted on the window that their "ice cream products" are processed with peanuts. So, we tried to avoid peanut products but once or twice he get a little bit of somethin' and the response was immediate vomiting and rash outbreak. So, I mention this to the doc and after a mild scolding for exposing my child to peanuts before the age of 2, he says that Charlie had earned himself an Epi Pen Jr.! Oh boy!
Number 2 on the list of items to discuss with the doctor: his persistant rash. I hadn't been too concerned until the neighbors started pointing asking, "Does he have the chicken pox?"" what happened to Charlie?" " Is Charlie getting in the pool? Oh, OK, no we weren't planning on swimming." (As they dragged their screaming kids and pool toys away.) So, it's eczema and we now have a perscription to help clear things up.
Last on the list, his frequent bloody noses. At my daughters' dance recital my sister asked, Is that lipstick on Charlie's face? Oops, no, that's blood. No need for alarm,he gets them several times a day. The remedy? Swab vaseline in his nostrils at night. Not such an easy task. Try explaining to a confused toddler why it's OK for MOMMY to put something up his nose!
So, looking at all 3 of these issues, I started imagining that kid in elementary school with the inhaler, allergies, and nose bleeds. You know, the skinny, pale, shy boy in the back of the classroom. My sister said, Just don't let him go to school in red sweat pants smelling of maple syrup. Not a problem. He only likes wearing dresses!

1 comment:

  1. My favorite new blogger!
    I am always up for a blogging laugh. Even if it is at poor little Charlie's expense.
    Thanks for not taking him in the swimming pool by the way.

    ReplyDelete