Monday, June 15, 2009

Lost Identity


Last Sunday in church, it was our family's turn to be the Spotlight in Primary. This year, since the focus is on families, they do spotlights on the whole family, not just one child. They asked us to come in and tell a little about each person; talents, hobbies, etc. Jon thought it would be fun if we each picked someone to "introduce" rather than talk about ourselves. I think he is just uncomfortable talking about himself but I thought it sounded like a good plan.

So the night before, we sat down to plan out what we were going to say. I wanted the kids to come up with their own ideas, not just say what we told them to say! But I also wanted to make sure it was appropriate!

Paige decided to introduce Jon. She came up with lots of things like:
- He works at home so she gets to see him all the time.
- He plays soccer with her in the backyard and she beats him.
- He teaches her about basketball and the players when they watch the Jazz games together.
- He lets her play his drums.
WOW! He sounds like a great dad. And he must be if that is what his own kids think up to say about him. (PS if it's not clear, I am not disputing this. He is a great dad! :))

Haily chose to introduce me.

She couldn't think of anything. She turned to Paige for some ideas. Paige couldn't think of anything. Jon was silent. Finally, Paige said, "What DO you do, Mom?" Then someone suggested that I like to watch TV. Jon laughed and said "It's true." (I feel like I have to defend myself here because although I do have a handful of shows that I watch regularly, I RARELY watch TV during the day. I almost always DVR it and watch it when the kids go to bed.)

She ended up talking mainly about how I'm going to have a baby and also that I give her medicine when she's sick. She mentioned (with Jon's prompting) that I used to run before I was pregnant. But let's face it, it's not like it's a talent. I'm not GOOD at running!

I started reflecting about myself and who I am, what I do, what I like. I'm left feeling a little lost. I thought, "Maybe I don't have time for hobbies and developing talents because I'm always busy cleaning, cooking, shopping, taking kids here and there, etc." Then I looked around the house. I saw the clutter, the piles of laundry, the empty cupboards. Looks like I haven't been doing those things lately! I really can't take pride in my skills as a housekeeper, organizer, laundress, or cook these days.

In fact, right when we walked in the door after church Jon started telling me that "we" (meaning ME) need to figure out how to better organize the kitchen so there isn't so much clutter in the counter top all the time. I just didn't want to discuss it at that moment so I said, "I know that is important but can we please not talk about it right now?" He goes "UNREAL!" So frustrating.

Has motherhood finally taken over my identity? Is all my energy spent getting the kids to school, helping with homework, putting band-aids on scrapes, paying the bills, and running the household in general? I started to really feel invisible. I mean, yes the kids need someone to feed them, to clean them, and get them to school. But couldn't anyone do that? I feel like a generic "mother" robot. Where is my personality? Who would I be without motherhood?

I'm feeling lost.

Part of me wants to get away alone to "find myself". But really, where would I go and what would I do to accomplish that? And don't you have to "lose yourself in the service of others" to find yourself? But isn't that what I already do?

Jon thinks I'm just "pregnant crazy" I'm sure. And maybe he's right. But these are the thoughts and feelings I'm having these days.

8 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel, sometimes I wonder who I am and who I have become. I always hate the questions, "Tell me about yourself...and what do you like to do?" because they can be so hard to answer. I cant only imagine this feeling gets worse as you become a mother and all of your energy it spent devoted to your children. From reading your blog, I think you are a really good mother and if that is your identity I think its a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the same way too. Especially when I am pregnant and have a new baby. But then after that I start into my hobbies and such to help me have more of an "identity" as an individual aside that of the "mother identity". I think this is a common trial for mothers, or maybe even just women in general. But We are doing the Lord's work and are invaluable in his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s the plight of the mother. For years, all we will be to our kids is the person who makes meals and takes them places. When asked, that’s all they can think of –I know I never thought of my mother as having hobbies or personality! But that will change when they get older and see you as a person, not just a robotic mom--because you are way cooler than a robotic mom. Let me introduce you: This is my friend Amy. She can make me laugh out loud with a cleverly worded text or a perfectly-timed, under the breath word of sarcasm. I am anxiously awaiting the day she finally puts together a stand up comedy routine. The reason she’s so funny is because she’s wicked smart and closely tuned to people’s emotions. She is the first too call and ask if she can bring a meal for someone in need and will drop what she’s doing to help take care of a neighbor, whatever the need may be. She has impeccable taste in music and can get down in a hop hop class like no other—not even a pregnant belly can stand in her way. She appreciates reading. She has great gospel insight and a strong testimony but does it without being self-righteous or judgmental. She has a keen sense of fun and adventure and is willing to make herself look silly to take part in it. She makes great magnets and delicious treats. She is a loyal friend. She is a patient mom and wife. She is a great teacher---both to her kids and her friends. Basically, she’s awesome and one of my favorite people in the world! So there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy I think most of us are in the same boat as you. I don't know how many times I think I am just not cutting it as a mom, my kids could care less about what I do for them. I am too busy to clean my house, do laundry and all of the crazy things you have to do around the house. If I am not to busy to do them, I just don't want to do them because I am SO sick of it. I think you are great! Your family thinks you are great! And you are a GREAT runner too! If you need some of that alone time I would be glad to watch your kids so you can go and pamper yourself. Cheer up! (K know, easier sad than done) Your awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so hard to feel like that! I emailed you a story that I hope brightens your day, it did mine! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ames--
    I don't know who "western rebel" is but I like her, I want to be her friend AND she took the words right out of my mouth.
    I also know that it's been a good 12 years since we've spent an extended period of time with eachother but this is what I want you to know:
    you've always been that girl who could do anything. If you make up your mind to do something...it happens. No messing around. You are STINKIN' smart. I was just telling Jon the other day how you were one of the "smart ones" in our class but you played the part so cool. I LOVE talking with you. ...not just reminicing (although I love a good reminiscing session) but I love talking with you about the details of our lives. You have a strong handle on what this life is all about and how to go about being successfull and happy. You make me laugh...not just chuckle but a good belly laugh when I read your blog. You have a way of telling it like it is and doing it in a way that readers are able to identify with.

    I remember when we first started hanging out with Jon and his roommates. I could tell Jon really liked you and my thought were, of course he likes Amy...(everyone does) She's cute, fun to be around, hilarious, smart and has great taste in music. Who wouldn't have a crush on her.

    Not much has changed. You're still the perfect package...

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no Amy. If you don't feel like an adequate mother who does? I guess maybe this is a surprise to you but I have looked at you as a example of what being a mother is all about. I remember reading your blog or maybe talking to you, I cant remember. Anyway you said that you always wanted to be a mother. I guess that I don't have those strong motherly instincts that you do (in part due to the fact that my mother figure was a mess of a person and lets face it Mardean is amazing). But I have seen you interact w/ur kids and your amazing. You have a great relationship w/them. Maybe they don't have an appreciation for all you do for them, but they have down pat that you love them, and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are not pregnant crazy. I feel like that often, but how can you not feel that way? how many years have you spent being the mother? 8 right? I am on year 11 and it takes over for sure. I feel like I am in a "groundhog day" of cleaning, dishes, and errand running. Sometimes I need to just let my house go for a bit just to make myself want to do it again. I guess what I am saying is that you are so not alone! I just haven't figured out the solution yet. I will fill you in if I do!:)

    ReplyDelete